The Sacramento Opera Company began in 1947 as the “Sacramento Opera Guild,” working under the auspices of the San Francisco Opera Guild. The Guild presented operatic concerts imported from San Francisco and, in 1951, joined forces with a local arts club to present the San Francisco Opera in both staged and concert performances. In 1966, the association incorporated as a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, changing its name to the Sacramento Opera Association.

After years of presenting works produced and mounted elsewhere, in 1981, the board changed the mission of the organization to that of a producing company. The company’s first two productions, mounted in Sacramento, were Giacomo Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi and Gian Carlo Menotti’s The Medium, which were presented in the Hiram Johnson High School Auditorium, accompanied by two pianos. Later that November, the company moved its productions to the Sacramento Community Center Theater and presented its first full opera with orchestra, Puccini’s La Bohème.

Since that time, over 75 works from the standard repertoire, a world premiere, three galas and a host of education and informational programs for youth and adults have been presented for the benefit of audiences throughout the Sacramento Region.